I have prepared a list of tips to help you chose a tax preparer and to make sure they are doing the job that you hired them for.
- Do check credentials, ask for references, and read online reviews. In the age of the internet, it is increasingly easy to research an individual’s reputation well in advance of meeting them.
- Do not listen to promises about someone being able to “save you thousands in tax” based on a few simple deductions to your return.
- Do review your return in careful detail to ensure that all the information is correct. Remember: if you sign it, you are liable for it.
- Do not ever accept a return prepared by a 3rd party preparer that is not signed by that preparer or does not contain their PTIN number.
- Do not allow your tax preparer to file a return electronically on your behalf that you haven’t seen or signed.
- Do not hire a tax preparer that charges on a contingency based on how much of a refund he/she gets you. This is illegal.
- Do check your IRS account transcript about six months after your return is filed to make sure your account transcript matches the information.
- Do not write your tax preparer a check to him personally or to his “client trust account” to cover the balance of the tax that you owe. Tax payments should only be made to the IRS.
- Do be cautious if you get a large refund or pay less tax than you did last year when your circumstances have not changed much. If you do, ask your tax preparer to explain the extra savings. There are usually only two possible explanations. 1) you made a serious error on a prior year return (in which case, you should amend it), 2) your tax preparer is taking questionable deductions/credits or otherwise shielding income. If the later, do n0t file that return without a second opinion.
"Sam is a wonderful, results-oriented and extremely knowledgeable and talented attorney, who really has 'heart' in working on behalf of his clients, and explains options in a straightforward, respectful manner. He has assisted us with great outcomes which have added to our quality of life. I would not hesitate to recommend Sam for his services as he is an ethical, personable and expert attorney in his field. You will likely not be disappointed with Sam's work ethic, approach and his efforts."
-Aileen Dwight, Licensed Clinical Social Worker & Psychotherapist
Last updated: May 27, 2023
Our best stuff: secrets, tax saving tools, and tax defense strategies from the braintrust at Brotman Law.
These ten big ideas will change the way you think about your taxes and your business.
Find the articles and videos you need to make the right tax decisions in the learning center.
It is not just about what we do, but who we are, why we do it, and how that benefits you.
Meet with us to outline your strategy. No further obligation, 100% money-back guarantee.
Benjamin Franklin once said, “Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise...
13 min read
If you haven’t had to pay any state taxes for the past few years but now face a liability, you...
18 min read
In California, state income taxes are generally among the highest in the country, but the burden is...
9 min read
We'll answer your most pressing tax law questions in 15 minutes. Please choose a time below that works best for you.
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I must inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this website is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter contained in this website.